Mindfulness is part of a demanding meditative path that suits only a few people. There are better ways to be happier. I don’t recommend getting an arm cast for a bad tooth, taking ibuprofen for stomach ache, or treating a broken leg with herbal remedies. To each illness, the correct treatment. In today’s age ofContinue reading “Mindfulness will fuck you up”
Damien Walter writes on technology, culture and scifi for The Guardian, BBC, Wired, Oxford University Press, IO9, Tor.com and elsewhere. He’s a graduate of the Clarion scifi writers workshop, and teaches the Rhetoric of Story.
Apple are making Isaac Asimov’s FOUNDATION for tv with David Goyer at the helm. All the signs are it’s going to be a disaster. Come and chat with me on Instagram. TRANSCRIPTION So I’ve just watched the new trailer for Isaac Asimov’s foundation series brought to us by none less than Apple themselves as oneContinue reading “The problem with Isaac Asimov’s Foundation”
Stephen King describes writing a story as digging up a fossil from the desert. Maybe we don’t create stories, maybe we find them buried deep within our psyche. Day Two of the Open Writing Course, open to everyone but especially anyone locked down because of covid19 / coronavirus, continues by fanning the flames of inspiration.Continue reading “Open Writing Class : Day 2”
With millions of us stuck at home in lockdown, self-isolation or quarantine as covid19 / coronavirus sweeps around the world, lots of us are asking, how can I best use this time? If your answer is “I can finally write that book” then this open writing class is for you. I’ll be recording a newContinue reading “Open Writing Class : Day One”
“Learn the form, master the form, break the form.” Study a martial art of any kind and you’ll likely learn this lesson. First you learn a form – a kick, block or grapple. Then you master the form form – you practice it thousands of times, in different variations, and put it into practice againstContinue reading “Learn the form, master the form, break the form.”
Calling sci-fi a genre in 2016 is about as accurate as calling the United States one nation. In principle it’s true, but in practice things don’t work that way. While crime, romance and thrillers all remain as coherent genres of fiction, it’s been decades since sci-fi could be comfortably understood by any shared generic criteria.Continue reading “The 8 Tribes of SciFi”
The iconic 90s novelist interviewed in 2004 talks about the challenges of teaching creative writing.
- Five years. 555 runs. Five Lessons.From zero experience, to three 10k runs a week, then back down to a regular 5k distance, running has changed my life. And taught me some valuable lessons. It’s coming up for five years since I left the UK and began “digital nomading”. This time has been occupied with two stories, building my writing practice,Continue reading “Five years. 555 runs. Five Lessons.”
- The 6-step story pitchSo there you are, face to face with the most important agent in your industry. Instead of turning to jelly, use this 6 step pitch process. Join the Rhetoric of Story with course code STORYTEN. https://goo.gl/YDLxoH Shot on the best camera for vloggers. http://amzn.to/2AQ2UPX Audio by Rode. http://amzn.to/2AgfBSR Thanks to Sarah’s House for being aContinue reading “The 6-step story pitch”
- What does a nomad writer pack for 4 years on the road?Hello! My name is Damien Walter, and I am the nomad writer. I’ve been travelling since November 2013, across Thailand, India, Malaysia and Indonesia. I’m a slow traveller, staying at least two months wherever I go. My main base of operations is Chiang Mai, the “digital nomad” capital of the world. Read Slouching Toward Nimmanhaemin:Continue reading “What does a nomad writer pack for 4 years on the road?”
- I found the ultimate digital nomad shoulder bag…the maker surprised me.For the best part of three years now I’ve been living as a “digital nomad”. Nobody I know, including hundreds of digital nomad friends I’ve made along the way, really likes the term, but it’s less clunky than “location independent entrepreneur” and generally conveys the idea of working whilst travelling. Or as one of myContinue reading “I found the ultimate digital nomad shoulder bag…the maker surprised me.”
- Digital nomads are a 21st century countercultureSlouching Toward Nimmanhaemin Digital nomads are a 21st century counterculture. The choices they make today will shape how we live and work tomorrow. Words and pictures by Damien Walter The global network enables us to react to the world as a whole. – Marshall McLuhan, Understanding Media The center was not holding. But that wasContinue reading “Digital nomads are a 21st century counterculture”