It’s a snowin’ in the British Isles, and it’s put me in mind of the coming end of year. So. I have decided to start a new tradition around these parts, and make my predictions for the key trends in SF in the year to come! And now with no further ado we present…
Damo’s SF prophecies for 2011
1. A New Hope – a full on speculative fiction book will be shortlisted for the Booker prize. It’s most likely to be an SF book dealing with actual science because…
2. Science Fiction Strikes Back! – …Science Fiction returns to publishers lists and readers imaginations. The success of The Quantum and The Wind-Up Girl are indicative of things to come. Science Fiction is back in fashion.
3. Return of the Epic Fantasy – assuming George R R Martin’s A Song of Ice and Fire makes it to the screen in its new HBO serial format, Epic Fantasy will sweep away all opposition as the sub-genre of choice for commercial publishers out to make a buck.
4. The Phantom Markets – despite ongoing rumours to the contrary, short fiction will not die. A few markets will close, a few will open. Writers of short fiction will continue not making a living.
5. Attack of the Lycanthrope – werewolves will have a brief outing as fandom fad of the month. Paul Jessup’s Werewolves will be seen as the origin point by those in the know.
6. Revenge of the Pop Hits – a solid mid-list SF writer will have a break-out pop hit with a song and video based on their writing. They will appear naked in the video. (So its unlikely I admit, all the more reason to MAKE IT HAPPEN.)
Check back next year to see how I do. If I get less than 3 of 6 I will perform a forfit of some kind. Make your nominations and your own SF prophecies below.
- Clarion 2011 open for submissions: boot-camp for SF writers (boingboing.net)