Writing the 21st century myth
Advanced techniques for writers of Science Fiction & Fantasy, used by today’s most successful storytellers and myth makers
Damien Walter writes on technology, culture and science fiction for The Guardian, BBC, Independent, Wired, Buzzfeed, SFX and Aeon. He teaches The Rhetoric of Story & Writing the 21st Century Myth to over 35,000 students worldwide.
As featured in:
Learn the techniques of today’s top scifi & fantasy storytellers
- Eternal Questions – tell stories that ask – and answer – the deep questions of human life and experience.
- The Novum – the secret storytelling tool of Stanley Kubrick and other great scifi myth makers.
- Cognitive Science – dig into the cogsci of scifi, how our brain and psychology are shaped by mythic stories.
- Beyond The Hero’s Journey – Joseph Campbell’s essential guide to mythic storytelling…and how to go beyond it.
- Archetypes – work with the archetypal human personality types – shadow, anima, trickster – discovered by Carl Jung.
- Metanarratives – how to tell stories that cross between multiple movies, books, games and comics, and form the multi-billion dollar MARVEL franchise.
- Ergodic Storytelling – use fascinating and cryptic secondary material – maps, invented texts and illustrations – to help immerse the audience in your world.
Watch the course trailer and begin your journey into Scifi & Fantasy storytelling.
Become a patron to experience the full course in Writing the 21st Century Myth.
Part One of Advanced Science Fiction & Fantasy: Writing the 21st century myth Two hundred years ago Western civilisation was gripped by a revolution. Science was tearing downContinue reading “Frankenstein : the first science fiction novel”
Part Two of Advanced Science Fiction & Fantasy: writing the 21st century myth It’s more than a little ironic that the motion picture widely called the “greatestContinue reading “2001 : how Stanley Kubrick rewrote science fiction”
Part Three of Advanced Science Fiction & Fantasy: writing the 21st century myth Star Wars changed cinema forever, introducing the would to the “scifi blockbuster” that has dominatedContinue reading “Star Wars : beyond the hero’s journey”
When Damien Walter asked his twitter followers to name the greatest 21st century myth he got an unexpected answer – from Neil Gaiman himself
What makes a great scifi / fantasy story? As a writer I’ve spent a LOT of time looking for the answer. Then I learned it from Neil Gaiman.
As my instructor at the Clarion writer’s workshop I’ve learned a lot from Neil. But I was still surprised when he answered my question about the greatest 20th century myth.
“When the 21st century myth comes along, we will know.”Neil Gaiman
The best sci-fi & fantasy stories, the ones we love and remember for generations, are powerful myths for our age.
Parts V & VI
Part Five of Advanced Science Fiction & Fantasy: writing the 21st century myth The Disney owned Marvel franchise is the biggest and most profitable story in human history, a vast…Keep reading
Enroll on the full course to join all classes and workshops.
- Per month
- Monthly donation of any amount
- Talks + workshops
Watch free talks on YouTube
Join the community on Facebook